Skip to content
On This Day in History | Today 12 May
What Happened On This Day in History
- 1459: Rao Jodha founded Jodhpur.
- 1666: Under the treaty of Purender, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj reached Agra to meet Aurangzeb.
- 1784: Paris agreement comes into effect.
- 1847: William Clayton invents the odometer.
- 1915: The revolutionary Rasbihari Bose left India aboard the Japanese yacht Sanuki Maru.
- 1965: Israel and West Germany exchange the latest to initiate diplomatic relations.
- 1965: International nurses day is celebrated globally on 12 May every year. The day is celebrated 278 the birth anniversary of Florence nightingale. She is also known as the lady with the lamp.
- 2002: former US President Jimmy Carter arrives in Cuba on a 5-day visit to negotiate with Fidel Castro. Carter becomes the first US President to visit Cuba science Castrol 1959 revolution.
- 2008: An earthquake is Sichuan China killed more than 87,000 people the earthquake injured 3,74,643 people.
- 2008: Former Prime Minister of Pakistan Nawaz Sharif decides to from the joint government due to lack of consensus on the restoration of judges.
- 2010: 103 people out of 104 people in World war were killed in a plane crash near the poli International airport in Libya.
- 2015: An earthquake in Nepal killed 218 people and injured more than 35 00.
- 2020: Indian railway partially resume it service with 15 pairs of special trains running from New Delhi to selected cities. These 30 trains were also run in addition to Chiranjeevi special trains.
- 2020: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi announces are $260 million economic rescue package which is worth 10% of GDP.
Borns On This Day
- 1820: Florence Nightingale, a nurse, the ‘mother of the modern nursing movement’ was born.
- 1875: The famous philosopher, Krishna Chandra Bhattacharya was born and studied Hindu philosophy.
- 1945: 37th Chief justice of India K.G. Balakrishna was born.
- 1954: Politician and 13th chief minister of Tamil Nadu K. Palani Swami was born.
- 1989: Indian women cricketer Shikha Pandey was born.
Deaths On This Day
- 1993: Famous Hindi poet Shamsher Bahadur Singh died.