Skip to content
On This Day in History | Today 22 May
What Happened On This Day in History
- 1915: Italy declared war against Austria, Hungary, and Germany during the first world war.
- 1936: Lord Brabourne lays the foundation of Brabourne Stadium in Bombay (now Mumbai). It was the first stadium in the country.
- 1960: One of the largest earthquakes on the southern coast of Chile killed 5,700 people and the raging waves in the sea worked havoc in the far Pacific regions such as Japan and Hawaii.
- 1963: India’s first glider Rohani took off.
- 1972: Pakistan resigns from commonwealth membership.
- 1972: US President Richard M. Nixon arrives in Moscow. It was an American president’s first visit to the Soviet Union.
- 1984: Bachendri pal becomes the first Indian woman of conquering Everest, the world’s highest peak.
- 1988: India successfully test-fired in the Indigenous developed intercontinental ballistic missile ‘Agni’.
- 1990: The United Yemen republic emerged with the merger of Northern and Southern Yemen.
- 2008: Pakistan was included in the 47-member Human rights committee of the United Nations.
Borns On This Day in History
- 1772: Raja Ram Mohan Roy was born. He is called of the Indian Renaissance and the father of modern India.
- 1959: Former Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir Mehbooba Mufti was born.
Death On This Day in History
- 1545: Sher Shah Suri dies in an explosion. In 1540 Sher Shah took over the Mughal Empire and established the Suri Empire.
- 2011: Govind Chandra Pande, renowned thinker, history in commerce Sanskritist, and aesthetic of the 20th country passed away.